Sunday, April 30, 2006

Where I'm Coming From

Just a couple of notes to let people know my perspective.

I'm a reader, not a journalist.

I'm not an authority; I'm a beginner. I'm trying to understand where journalism is going and where it should be going. I've had no schooling or experience in newspapers; I just care about them because good ones are important to me and to my knowledge of what's going on.

I don't think blogs will make newspapers obsolete. Newspapers may very well lose the paper, but well-researched, well-edited compendiums of timely information on world events, local affairs, business, sports--even the crossword and the funnies--aren't going anywhere.

Will newspapers change? Hell, they've already changed a great deal. The best news web sites have a rich mixture of proprietary and external content; are updated continuously; and have polls, comment sections, and other ways for the readership to interact with the paper. Nothing about these developments is bad, in my opinion.

For example, how nice is it to be able to log onto the Times web site and get an up-to-date status of the fourth round of the NFL draft, instead of being stuck with the partial results in the "Final" edition that was delivered this morning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.